Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Review: Mastered by Maya Banks



Synopsis 


What he wants, he takes with no remorse or guilt.
 
She stood out in his club like a gem, unspoiled and untouched. A lamb among wolves, she clearly didn’t belong. Drawn to her innocence he watched as she was surrounded by men who saw what he did—but no one but him could touch her. He summoned her to his private quarters. He sensed her fear. He also recognized the desire in her eyes. And he knew she wouldn’t leave before he possessed her. She had no need to know his secrets. Not until he had her under his complete and utter control.
 
What he wants, she isn’t sure she can give him.
 
The moment he told her want he wanted, she couldn’t resist. Instinct told her to run, but her heart said stay and walk the fine line between pleasure and pain. Though she wasn’t sure she could ever completely surrender, the primal part of her wanted to try, even knowing this man could break her in ways she never imagined. Because once he possessed her, he owned her and it would be too late to turn back. She can only pray that he doesn’t destroy her in the end.

Selina's 3 Star Review


I have received an ARC for an honest review.

I have read a lot of books by Maya Banks from her Breathless Series, Colters’ Legacy and A KGI Series.  I’m a fan for life.  I was really looking forward to reading Mastered and couldn’t wait to start a new world by Maya.  However, I was truly disappointed.  This wasn’t my favorite novel by Maya.  It pains me to not write a glowing review because regardless of what I thought might have been lacking in this book, Maya can still create the best stories for my heart and mind to get lost in. 

I found the main female character Evangeline aka Angel to be a weak character.  Not in the sense of her being physically weak but lacking in character development.  I was confused at times and didn’t understand why she felt herself to be deficient in confidence and tore herself down so much throughout the book when she didn’t even come from a horrendous background.  She came from a loving family who had gone through rough times but still provided her with all the love and support any child would need and then some.  Although it’s refreshing to read about a main female character that doesn’t realize their own appeal, it starts to get disenchanting when it feels forced upon the readers.

The books that I’ve read by Maya, the female characters are usually innocent and naïve.  However, in Mastered, Evangeline is written the same way as “very naïve and innocent” just way too many times to come across naturally.  There were repetitive qualities that just ended up being a turn off in parts of the book.   

That aside I liked the story plot.  I liked how all the Alphas in the book had a back story.  The story had a good flow with just some minor bumps.  The book did end with us knowing there is going to be more to the story.  I have to admit I was gripping my kindle pretty hard.  I was also pleasantly surprised with the ending and absolutely did not see that coming.  Even though I felt like this book wasn’t at its best I still enjoyed it at parts.  It did feel it got better at the end and will be reading the second book to get the conclusion.


          














1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete