Thursday, August 27, 2015

Review: Crushing Misery by Kinsey Taylor

Crushing Misery
by Kinsey Taylor

Shades of Misery
Book One





~~Selina's 2.5 Star Review~~

*I was given a copy for an honest review*
Crushing Misery started off with Kennedy’s haunting past.  The prologue had piqued my interest and seemed very promising.  However, reading the first chapter and getting Kennedy’s and Corbin’s perspective, I realized the starting was pretty rough.

There were some positive and negative points in this book.  
Kinsey Taylor has the right story making talent and materials to write a great story, I just feel Kinsey needs a bit more direction and formula.
             
      A.)   There were too many people talking and was hard to keep track of who was whom.
      B.)    There were times the sentences were a bit repetitive.

It’s hard to have a crush on a male character when he’s kind of whiny.  I get that having an emotionally unavailable male is kind of a woman’s things but his character seemed to be a little annoying at times.  There was just the missing X factor.  There seemed to be a missing connection from the main male character Corbin and Kennedy.  Also there seemed to be a bit of a disconnection to us, the readers.

I will admit that I had a hard time getting into this book.  I want to mention that I’m not trying to be destructive here, I’m trying to provide constructive criticism and I hope that this is being taken that was.

I also would have recommended an editor or a different one.  There were quite a few errors that could have been fixed with spell check.

The story itself has a ton of potential.  I liked that the female character Kennedy had to go through so much to overcome her past.  So, in the end I would recommend an editor and maybe have some new Beta readers go through it again.  I find that if you have someone read your story that you do not know and they would have no problem giving you their honest opinions, you should use them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment